Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Bits and Pieces


For weeks, many thoughts, issues, reflections,  and realities have been swirling around in my head - almost like a snow-globe when shaken and all the shiny bits and pieces do their dance before settling on the bottom.  I apologize in advance for the regurgitation of my consciousness, I just hope my written vomit is not as vile as the result of the American election that I witnessed as a Canadian ex-pat living in Colorado.   It is not even the reality that the voting population has put into power someone that I do not deem a leader - in any capacity, it really is a "Little Bit of Everything" as sung by Dawes.  It is the "suggested daily dosage, or the matador and the bull" as the lyrics suggest that contributed to my rant today.

In my native Canada, our immigration online portal crashed last night and the sweet gal at my morning caffeine stop is hopeful that I can adopt her.  But, my dear American neighbours, Canada is not the paradise that you perceive.  From the late 1800's until 1996 (yes the late 1990's) we displaced First Nation children from their loving parents and put them in "Residential Schools" to take the "Indian" out of them.  One of our Rock icon's, Gord Downie, frontman of the The Tragically Hip, is taking on our inhumane treatment of First Nations head on (while he is dealing with a terminal brain tumour).  My dear friend, Queer Advocate,  and proud First Nation said to me:

"Don't understand why it took 150 years and a famous white guy dying of cancer to bring reconciliation to the forefront. But I'll take it" @teddysyrette

So to learn more about our "less than perfect" society, check out Gord's swan song, "A Secret Path" and our flawless appearance might grow an ugly pimple or two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGd764YU9yc

Both nations collectively:  Canada and America as close neighbours, distant relations, reluctant dinner guests - must try to dig through the shit and find common ground to build the bridge and grow. And while my opinion may be swayed by the fact that I have planted my family from the protective arms of loving "Mother Canada" into the Land of Opportunity - it is my optimism, my hope and my knowledge that there are good people out there who are like minded.

So yes, it is a a puzzle that has fallen apart - in both Countries.  But, people will still get up and go to work, children will go to school, and day to day life will continue, and it must.  I continue knowing my goal is to create opportunities for my children and raise them to be compassionate and loving humans.  It starts there.

Be kind and love each other, xo vagi





No comments:

Post a Comment