Friday, January 9, 2015

Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder!

It Was The Sound of Their Feet, artist Aleah Chapin
 
I was perusing Facebook a few days ago - out of boredom and seeking for some inspiration, and my search was over when a "friend" shared the work of Brooklyn, NY artist, Aleah Chapin.  Her creative insights of women are both raw and real, breathtaking and boundary breaking. 
 
In the history of this blog, I address our body image very frequently.  My partner often questions my continuous exploration of this issue as perhaps an "over done" topic.  The regularity of this subject in my writing is due to the fact that women (the vast majority of us) have a completely fucked up vision of our bodies. 
 
We all view the glossy magazine front pages and I confess that I am in awe of those "cover girls." Many times, in my "inside voice," I uttered a wish that I looked like them.  We all are guilty of that crime.  I have yet to hear from one of the fabulous women in my life, "I want to look like just like me."
 
Chapin's work forces us to take a real look at ourselves.  Dimpled rear ends, saggy tits, round bellies are "badges of honour"  regarding our lives as mothers, as nurturers, as real women.  No "glazed ham" vagina here, her work depicts women with full bush, and I don't feel compelled to touch them up with a full Brazilian wax job.
 
Explore Chapin's work, it inspired me to worry less about the size of my ass and contemplate more about how I live my life as a woman.  www.aleahchapin.com 
 
Love yourself and your ass, xo vagi

No comments:

Post a Comment