Saturday, October 16, 2010

Definition of a Modern Women

So what makes a "Modern Woman?"

Is she married?
Is she single?
Does she have children, a career?
Does she more sex, or less sex?
Does she earn more money than her husband, or less?
Does she stay home and raise her children?

In reality, can we define any one of us in one neat package?  My life today forces me to reflect on the struggles of wives, mothers and all women of the past.  The typical "50's" housewife just had to concern herself with keeping her house clean, dinner on the table at 5 o'clock and her children seen and not heard. She had no freedom, no opinions and no way out.   At times I wonder if we really have evolved from our mothers who were compliant to society's rules.  Is the "Modern Woman" one that does it all:  cooks organic, makes 6 figures, has a "magazine" spread home and beautiful, brilliant children?

I hope to hell not.

In my opinion the "Modern Woman" has compassion.  She gives of herself to the greater good, and does not care about the dust under the bed.  She is intelligent, she is accepting and she tries to make a difference.  Some "Modern Women" in my book:  Mother Theresa, June Callwood, and our own past Governor General, Michaelle Jean.    It is not about the name on your handbag or your designer yoga pants, it is about doing  small things that can impact a life.  We have the opportunity as women in this time of change and modernization and technology to create movements in our communities, our countries and our world.

4 comments:

  1. In current world, competition is especially fierce. It accounts for our hurry rhythm’s life.

    lifestyle definition

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi , i was tryin to define modern girl for my frnd , actualy it was my own opinion about this, i wanna share it here , n i want to know ur idea about my definition ... i said my opinion in the shape o a story , its ma life story

    ReplyDelete
  3. as u mentioned so many times that i cant define "modern woman " i decided to send u this email ,
    wen i was a kid , first thing i ever learnt was not how to play with a barbie doll , it was readin books , coz my father loved books , n still he does , my hobby was readin books,even i didn understand most of them ,coz my father didn buy us kids books, but i loved to learn more words ... if u don even understand sth , that thing goin to ur mind , n makes some parts of ur thinking ... most of them was about commonism
    n my mothers life had an effect on the way that i think about life too ... my mother got married wen she was 15 , she had a bad marriage , my father had a bad temper , n they had alwayz fights ... everytime i asked ma mum , y u won be saparated??? she said , coz im not independent , n ma family won accept me ... i just wanted to be not a dependent girl , not depend on my dad, nor on a husband , i thought girlz can handle their life , n even more persons , i just saw life more than bein a slave in husband house, givin birth babies , n these thingz, but i should say , im not that radical about this , coz i want to take care of a man , or givin birth a baby , i love some one takes care of me , n i feel im dependent on him , its intrinsic n natural , n as im so femnine , i love to act like this , but outside world is so wild i need to have a weapon to protect myself , i don wanna be like a fragile flower that need a wall to grow up on it, i wanna be a part of that wall , it makes more flowers ... its more protective , i didn study just becoz its sth that any one do , i did it on purpose ...
    after my childhood wen i turn to a teenage by the age of 14.5 iv been abducted by a band , its a long story ... the way that i looked to life changed a lot , i just saw the life sth that gonna be terminated every sec
    i mean u cant predict its the last sec or not, n everything every goods n bads that older ppl taught us was a foolish lie ... i just lost my believs all of them ... the world was so funny , i need no fight anymore ... i don need to fight to tell any one im true , every tradition was a rediculous joke ...nowrooz , 4 shanbe soori , visitin our family , sayin hi , sayin goodbye , readin books!!!! i just lost everything
    a modern woman was a girl who experienced so many things , n believed on herself that can choose her own way , can live without help , n is strong enough to help the others ... even if she cant , but she believes ... ( i just finished it soon coz u got bored n i know it )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply to my thoughts on being a woman in our times - you have a voice and should do what I do - share your words and thoughts. I wish you well in whatever you do. Vagi

      Delete