Monday, April 11, 2011

Made in France

"Only Hermes scarves allowed," should be across the headlines in France today.  I have mixed feelings regarding the ruling in France that makes the wearing of the niqab and burka illegal.  Women who "hide" their face can be charged and fined, or have to enroll in a "socialization" course.  Others who force a woman to wear the traditional Islamic headgear face heavier fines and possible jail time.  France's Interior Minister, Claude Gueant supported the ruling stating it demonstrated the,  "Principle of secularism and equality of men and women."  Authorities were careful with their words and do not mention men or women in the law, just the crime of hiding one's face.

Isn't it just reverse discrimination?  

As a North American  woman I  reflect on the traditional clothing and headcoverings, and to me, they are an insult to my Muslim sisters, to me, it reflects on their lack of control or power of their own lives.  But, who am I to judge?  Is it our place to force them to disregard their tradition?  I struggle with this one, I applaud women who choose to wear it in France and fight the ruling, but I would feel better if I firmly believed it was always their choice to make.  
What is your opinion on this one?  Let me know, peace & love, vagi 

No comments:

Post a Comment