Sunday, April 3, 2011

Syrup, Strangers & Stupidity

Sunday Morning at the Pancake Breakfast

I live in a Northern community that is blessed with the time honoured tradition of turning maple sap into the most amazing golden liquid - the real stuff, no mass production of caramel coloured sugar stickiness pretending to be pure maple goodness.  And, like most parents of young children, I followed tradition and trucked them off to one of many "All you can eat" pancake breakfasts.  Some are at local legions, church halls, and we picked the local conservation area and supported the local chapter of the Kiwanis Club, who was hosting and fundraising. 

The irony of the day was the reaction of one of the patrons to my 8 yr. old son, who has Autism.  I am used to the glances, and sometimes stares, but today I was blindsided by a comment, that really did not fit with the theme of supporting local children's charities. 

The hall was packed with long tables and benches not giving much "leg-room" and Aidan really struggles to remain seated,  and squirms and wiggles like a worm struggling to escape from its hole.  I did not notice that he was pressing his feet against the gentlemen behind us (I was paying attention to pancakes and syrup and juice in front).  He was clearly annoyed, and when cleared away and leaving - looked directly at me said, "There is something wrong with that kid," and sauntered away. 

I let it go - I did not even mention it to anyone.  My disgust is not only with this ignorant asshole, but with myself for not confronting him.  I call myself an advocate, but I let my son down today by not defending him.  It was one of the moments when I felt small and defenceless - I hope I find the strength, when it happens again (and it will) to stand up to the bully and shout. 

peace and love all, vagi xo

No comments:

Post a Comment