Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year Reflections from a Modern Woman

Reflection, Resolution & Motivation

The other evening my 17 yr old desperately wanted a ride and rushed to clear the dinner dishes - I knew this act was merely to get me moving faster.  When I called him on it, he stated, "Mom, everyone only does things for their own benefit."  This kid has witnessed my many years of volunteering and to no avail regarding his own self-motivation.  It disgusted me and to be fair, this is not the first time.   When I questioned my benefit of giving him a ride, he had no answer.  His attitude really made me sit and think about why I am the way I am.

I have always been motivated to help others - and I hope not for self-fulfillment, just because I can.   So, what do we do to change others?  How do we affect the opinions of others - our teenage children, our community, our county?  By example I hope.  I try to treat others I way I want to be treated (golden rule from childhood).  But as we go through our year end list and draft another of to-do's for 2011 - does it include be nicer to people, don't be an asshole?  Probably not.  Our latte, designer yoga pant society concerns itself more with the waistline than making the world a better place to be.

I am not a martyr by any means, and need a mani/pedi just like many others.   It  saddens me that women around our globe do not have the same freedoms as I do.  I decide, I guide my destiny, I control my environment.  I don't have to worry about getting raped on my way to fetch water for my family - I get paid a decent wage and have rights in the workplace.  My family has a home and enough to eat.  I am blessed.
So when I reflect on 2010 - I have no regrets, and my resolution is to stay true to my convictions to create change and just care about others.  It is really that simple.
Happy New Year All! xo Vagi







No comments:

Post a Comment